MP FOR DELYN WELCOMES CONSERVATIVE BUDGET DEMONSTRATING COMMITMENT TO HELPING COMMUNITIES BACK INTO WORK ACROSS THE UNION AND THE DELIVERY OF STRONGER PUBLIC SERVICES
Rob Roberts MP has welcomed the UK Governments Autumn Budget which will strengthen public finances and help working families meet the cost of living and further support vulnerable household.
Commenting on the budget that was announced yesterday, Thursday 28th October, the MP for Delyn said:
“I wholeheartedly welcome this budget as it will not only provide families and businesses across Delyn with further support as we build back better but more importantly with certainty and reassurance after COVID-19 threatened to leave us with the worst recession in 300 years
"Wales will receive the largest block grant since devolution began as well as a further £121 million as the first part of the UK Governments levelling up fund with more funding rounds expected to follow which will see even further investment in our communities across Wales.
"I was elected to both get Brexit done and to level up Delyn and with today’s package of measures announced I am more than confident that the UK Government is holding up its end of the bargain.
"The onus is now on the Welsh Labour Government to ensure this money gets to where it is needed as their constant cries that Westminster doesn’t send enough money are now even more spurious than they were before.”
Measures announced in the budget today included:
- A 6.6% National Living Wage increase to £9.50. Giving a £1000 pay rise to two million of the lowest paid.
- A 50% cut in business rates for the next year for 90% of retail, hospitality and leisure.
- Freezing fuel duty for the twelfth year in a row.
- Doubling of tax reliefs for the creative industries.
- 44% of all UK Government spending in the next three years goes to the NHS